Tuesday, March 3, 2009

*Runs screaming from room*

So.. teenagers.

Sigh. I was one, and I know I sucked out loud. Just got the progress report for the oldest. B-, C-, D+, C, A, A, A Anyone want to guess what the A's are in.. if you picked electives and PE, you get a gold star and a tart gummy bear.

I unloaded on her. Both barels, and I was. Not. Nice. No, I was downright mean. I regret it, and part of me thinks she's had it coming.. but.. really do any of us 'have it coming' when we get chewed out? probably not, and she probably didn't either.

"I CANT CARE MORE ABOUT THIS THAN YOU CAN!" And.. I mean that, even when I lost my temper and called her an idiot (ouch... Jesus, how much of my mother's rants did *I* forget?). She's NOT an idiot. She's a bright, funny, smart bubbly girl. Only, she picks the wrong people to hang with.. a girl who cuts herself.. a boy who has ZERO interest in her, yet she's over the moon about... :(

Yeah.. teenager years.. I DO remember the angst, the heartache and the stupidity. I don't think my mother yelled at me the way I have yelled at her. :( I regret that and wish I were a less impatient person.

I also wish I knew how to motivate her to JUST DO HER DAMN HOMEWORK. Seriously.

There are no answers to this, and the "you're a bad parent, just be a good one" people can bite my shiny metal ass. I'm doing the best I can.. Actually, I'm doing BETTER than *I* can most of the time, and I DO fall flat on my face, but by gum, I get up, dust myself off, and get going again, because *I* have NO other option.

Can I do better than I am doing? Yes. Will I do better than I am doing? Most of the time. Is it any of your damn business? No, but this is MY BLOG.. AND IT's ALL ABOUT ME! (winks at Krista)

How I'm going to survive the next 14 years is beyond me. Oh lord... Heh.

1 comment:

Krista Long said...

At least my teenage raising moments are over before yours are.

Advice (take it or leave it): Take the opportunity to have a non-angry conversation with her. Let her know that you are human, that you sincerely believe in her, talk about your teenage years and your fears for her. Then see if she will open up and strategize with you on ways to improve those grades.

Also, I called Konal a little jerk the other day.

And as for the wrong people to hang out with, I have the strange feeling my parents thought the same about my friends and your mom may have thought it about yours.

You have to let her find her own path, and maybe, after surviving the hell of the teenage years, she will still be wonderful friends with them in 20 years ::cough:: ::cough::
;)

LOVE YOU!!!! Sending you good mojo and virtual chocolate.